Current as of June 2022

What if I’m not on the list of voters provided to poll workers?

  • First, ask a poll worker to check the list again and to confirm that you’re at the right polling place for your address.
  • If you’re at the right polling place, but your name isn’t on the voter list, you may either register to vote or ask for a provisional ballot.

What if I go to the wrong polling place?

  • Ask a poll worker to help you find the right polling place. Or call your county auditor’s office, or look up your polling place online by clicking here.
  • You have the right to cast a provisional ballot even if you’re not sure that you’re at the right polling place.

What if someone challenges my right to vote?

A poll worker may ask you and the challenger some questions. If the challenge is withdrawn, you have the right to vote on a regular ballot. If the challenge is not withdrawn, you still can cast a provisional ballot. You'll then need to follow the instructions handed to you at the time to help make sure that provisional ballot is later accepted. 

What if someone tries to intimidate or harass me?

Tell a poll worker right away. If the poll worker is the problem, tell any poll watcher who might be present, call your county auditor’s office, or call the Election Protection Hotline at 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683).

What if I make a mistake on my ballot or the voting machine malfunctions?

  • Tell a poll worker before you turn in your ballot. Do not try to erase any marks on your ballot.
  • You will be given a new ballot. You have the right to up to two replacement ballots as long as you catch your mistake before you cast your ballot.
  • If your voting machine malfunctions, request a different machine or a paper ballot.

How do I make a complaint?

  • First, ask for the person in charge of your polling place. They can handle most routine complaints. Candidates, political parties, and nonprofit groups may also have poll watchers present who might be able to assist you. If any of those people ask you whom you voted for, or if they can’t resolve your complaint, call your county auditor’s office or the Secretary of State's office.
  • You can also call one of the election hotline numbers listed here.

If you have more questions, contact your county auditor's office or the Iowa Secretary of State.