Privacy and the Internet
The ACLU of Iowa takes many steps to protect your privacy when you visit ACLU of Iowa website. In order to advance our advocacy and outreach programs, and to provide you with a better experience while you are on the ACLU of Iowa site, we do allow some tracking to take place. How and when we do so is explained below.
Our Collection and Use of Information About You
Passively Collected Data
Voluntarily Submitted Data
- Fulfill your orders or transactions.
- Contact you about other ACLU of Iowa activities or news, or about opportunities to support the ACLU.
- In the case of petitions, we may display on our website your first name, last initial, city and state, and deliver your first and last name, city and state, zip code, or congressional district to the advocacy target. Where required for federal agencies to accept public comments, we may also submit your email address and other required information.
- In the case of direct messages to advocacy targets (such as your member of congress), all required information fields (e.g. name, email address, etc.) will be passed on to the advocacy target with your message.
- In the case of blog comments, post your comment and, if given, your name.
- Deliver content to you on platforms such as social media, other websites, search results pages and mobile apps.
- If you have joined People Power, share your name and contact information with other volunteers, and acknowledge your participation in specific volunteer activities.
When We May Share Your Information With Other Organizations
Our Email List
How We Work With Third-Party Vendors
- Determine how often and where you see our “breaking news” alerts or promotions.
- Save you time when filling out a form by populating it with information you provided in previous visits.
- How many individual visitors we have
- How many visitors are new or returning
- How often visitors come to the website
- What content they’ve visited
- How visitors interact with particular pages or content
- In addition, if you click on a link in an email we send to you — for example, to sign a petition — a cookie may be generated that enables us to identify that you have signed the petition.
How Certain Content Hosts May Place Cookies and Gather Information About You
Security Measures and Data Transmission
Procedure When We Update This Statement
Procedure for Updating Your Personal Information or Preferences
- Click on the link in the footer of any email you receive from the ACLU or ACLU of Iowa and use our preference center
- Send e-mail to: email@example.com.
- Send mail to our address: ACLU Membership Department, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004