Des Moines, Iowa — Today the ACLU of Iowa announced that it is giving Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (Iowa CCI) its Partners in Liberty award.
- It's been a vocal opponent of police use of force and has long advocated for a citizens review board.
- Most recently, Iowa CCI has been an important client in the ACLU of Iowa's Ag Gag 1.0 and Ag Gag 2.0 lawsuits to protect the free speech rights of advocates and investigators.
- Iowa CCI also has worked effectively to protect immigrants from wage theft and worker safety violations.
- Iowa CCI does an unparalleled job of engaging impacted individuals and communities and helping to tell their stories with compelling examples. That includes sharing Des Moines Police body camera and dash camera video that corroborated important details of the racial profiling incident last July of two young Black men who were stopped while driving. Those officers refused to tell the driver why he was stopped, searched, handcuffed, and put into a squad car, even after they were released without any charges filed.
- Iowa CCI is also responsible for elevating the story of a Black campaign worker who was questioned by West Des Moines Police simply for walking around in a white neighborhood.