The ACLU of Iowa is seeking a Communications Associate to join our team. This person will work on improving our electronic and social media presence, producing compelling images and graphics, and assisting with growing our communications program.
The position is based in Des Moines, Iowa, and reports to the Director of Communications. This is a full-time, exempt position. We are the Iowa affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, whose national offices are based in New York.
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications, the Communications Associate will translate our legal, policy, and public education work into powerful digital content and other communications products across many platforms, in order to inspire, inform and move people to action. This includes:
• Managing and growing the organization’s social media presence
• Producing graphics and possibly video content to tell powerful stories about the ACLU’s work
• Editing and updating the ACLU of Iowa website
• Assisting in designing and producing educational and outreach materials (brochures, fliers, postcards, etc.)
• Serving as a second point of contact for media, coalition partners and the public
• Other tasks as directed
• Strong social media skills across multiple platforms
• Visual storytelling with an instinct for using graphics, video and other available media to move people to action
• Strong writer with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly, concisely and in a compelling way (wit and a sense of humor are a plus)
• An eye for detail that includes proofreading ability and precision in wording
• Skill in creating graphics for digital and print use and in designing short publications
• Significant skill in using at least one of the following: InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator
• A passion for current events, politics, and civil liberties, including criminal justice reform, racial justice, immigrants' rights, reproductive rights, women's rights, LGBTQ+ rights, voting rights, privacy, and freedom of speech and religion
• Organized and able to meet tight deadlines. Must be able to juggle and effectively prioritize multiple projects in an ever-changing environment of breaking legal decisions and political developments
• Ability to do some weekend work
• Still photography and/or video photography skills
• Skill in using Premiere or After Effects to edit video
• Fluency in Spanish
$40,000 a year, plus excellent benefits that include generous vacation and sick leave, individual employer-provided health and dental insurance, life insurance and long-term disability, paid family medical leave, a 401k defined contribution plan with employer match, a flexible work schedule, and paid holidays.
How to apply:
The ACLU of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of any other group that may experience adversity in hiring to apply. You are encouraged to self-identify in the application materials.
To apply, send 1) a cover letter 2) a resume that is no more than two pages 3) two writing samples and 4) multiple samples and/or links for visual work to email@example.com. Please put “Communications Associate” in the subject line.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at 515-243-3576 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications due by September 1, 2018. Posting will remain active until the position is filled.