The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU of Iowa) is looking for an experienced accounting and human resources professional who can help us maximize our potential in terms of financial strength and administrative management. The ideal candidate for this full-time, exempt position is an organized, natural self-starter with an orientation to team-wide operations. Ability to anticipate problems, a collaborative work ethic, and a high bar for excellence are also critical. We seek someone who is a hands-on and who can navigate a wide array of finance, HR, and office management responsibilities, consult with employees of all levels on financial and personnel matters, and contribute to growing a staff culture of equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The ACLU of Iowa, the statewide affiliate of the national ACLU, is located in downtown Des Moines. It is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest organization that defends civil liberties and civil rights through litigation, legislative advocacy, and public education in areas including but not limited to voting rights, racial and criminal justice, immigrants’ rights, free speech, reproductive freedom, LGBTQ rights, and privacy rights.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
You will help us protect and advance the ACLU of Iowa’s mission by:
- Performing essential day-to-day financial functions such as maintaining financial accounts, preparing deposits, and paying invoices;
- Developing and ensuring compliance with financial and operating policies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and updating the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual;
- Assisting in preparation of an annual budget, monitoring all expenditures in accordance with the budget, and facilitating regular communications with director-level staff to discuss budget variance and forecasting;
- Ensuring timely and accurate completion of compliance and financial reports, including preparing all documentation for an annual audit and coordinating the work of the independent auditors, income tax reporting, and quarterly financial statements and investment reports;
- Developing and maintaining appropriate banking relationships;
- Advising the Executive Director (ED) on the investment of non-restricted funds not needed for current cash-flow in accordance with the Investment Policy and monitoring investments;
- Updating and ensuring compliance with our Employee Manual;
- Preparing monthly employee payroll, managing timekeeping, and vacation and sick leave records;
- Managing employee benefits programs and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations;
- Collaborating across the organization to coordinate hiring logistics, onboarding, offboarding, and training on finance and human resources matters.
- Performing general office management tasks accurately and in a timely manner including procuring and maintaining office equipment and furniture and office and kitchen supplies;
- Coordinating bulk postage for mailings and postage for postage machine, and being responsible for insurance arrangements including Workers’ Compensation, Board E&O, and Property;
- Serving as primary liaison to the office-building superintendent, landlord, and parking garage;
- Providing administrative support for the board of directors including attending quarterly meetings and working with the Secretary of the board to compose minutes, maintain meeting records, and complete other tasks, as assigned by the ED.
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to basic accounting;
Experience in analyzing financial information;
In-depth knowledge and experience with Quick Books;
Knowledge of human resources management principles and methods;
Organizational skills and working style that allows identification of problems as opportunities to generate solutions that will have an impact tomorrow and long-term;
Ability to translate financial concepts clearly to folks less familiar with them;
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work inclusively across lines of difference in a variety of settings; and
Ability to understand how work impacts people differently and desire to work to fully integrate differentiated strategies across teams for seamless engagement.
Starting salary range is $65,000-$68,000, depending on experience, with excellent benefits including generous vacation and sick leave; individual/family employer-provided health insurance; life insurance and long-term disability; defined retirement contribution plan with employer match; and 10 paid holidays.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references (identifying their relationship to you and including their email address and phone number) to email@example.com. Please put “Accounting” in the subject line of your email.
Applications will be reviewed beginning February 17, 2020. Posting will remain active until position is filled.
The ACLU of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of any other group that may experience adversity in hiring to apply. You are encouraged to self-identify in the application materials. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.