The American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa (ACLU of Iowa) seeks a politically astute and strategic professional to fill the full-time position of Advocacy Campaign Manager. Reporting to the Executive Director, and working collaboratively with the ACLU of Iowa staff, the Advocacy Campaign Manager will lead community engagement and advocacy campaign strategies toward achievement of our integrated advocacy priorities.
The ACLU of Iowa, the statewide affiliate of the national ACLU, is a private, nonprofit, non-partisan organization that defends civil liberties and civil rights through litigation, legislation, and public education, in areas including but not limited to voting rights, racial justice, criminal justice reform, immigrants’ rights, free speech, reproductive freedom, women’s rights, LGBTQ rights and privacy rights. Our office is located in downtown Des Moines, near the Iowa Capitol.
The Advocacy Campaign Manager will be a natural relationship builder with demonstrated project and campaign management skills who is driven to produce measurable results as our team continues to build a robust statewide presence of supporters, volunteers and activists to advance civil liberties and civil rights.
- In collaboration with our legislative/policy and communication teams, develop and execute effective multi-disciplinary advocacy campaigns to further our legislative, policy and outreach agendas;
- Supervise our Community Engagement staff in service to the strategic priorities of growing our statewide volunteer presence, engaging and including Iowans in our legislative advocacy goals, and expanding knowledge and understanding of civil liberties throughout the state.
- With the Community Engagement team, organize, lead, and participate in community education events, meetings, and trainings.
- Develop strategies to lead field organizing activities for advocacy campaigns.
- Plan and manage events to raise visibility and support for advocacy campaigns.
- Recruit and train community leaders and volunteers in support of advocacy campaigns.
- Establish and cultivate collaborative relationships with community partners, coalitions, and stakeholders.
- Identify and develop relationships with and leadership opportunities for directly impacted community members in order to accomplish shared strategic goals.
- Elevate the stories and experiences of impacted communities and individuals, ensuring that the interests and vision of impacted populations and the broader community are reflected in advocacy campaigns.
- Attend national and regional ACLU training and staff conferences; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Experience in running campaigns for political, advocacy, organizing, or policy-related fields.
- Commitment to advancing the ACLU's values, mission, goals and programs with a broad appreciation for and sensitivity to the culture of the organization.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with staff and partners from diverse backgrounds, coalitions, community groups, and volunteers.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours and commute to meetings and events throughout the state as needed as well as to attend national and regional ACLU trainings and staff conferences. Personal and public safety will continue to be prioritized by our affiliate until the COVID-19 pandemic is under control.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities and to demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Ability to execute a goal-oriented approach that meets objectives and deadlines.
- Personal initiative and the ability to follow through with minimal direct supervision.
- A nuanced understanding of and experience with diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, citizenship and immigration status, ability, record of arrest or conviction, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
Starting salary range for this position is: $55,000-65,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits include health and dental insurance plans, life and long‐term disability insurance; defined retirement contribution plan with employer match; paid sick, vacation and holiday leave.
Submit via email a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references (including their email address, phone number, and relationship to you). Combining these materials in one PDF document is strongly preferred. Application materials can be directed to Mark Stringer, at email@example.com.
Please put “Advocacy Campaign Manager” in the subject line of your email. Also, please indicate in your letter of interest where you heard about this job.
Applications will be reviewed beginning the week of November 9, 2020 and will be accepted until the position is filled (at which time the job description will be removed from the ACLU of Iowa website).
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.