Ask your county sheriff what steps they are taking to reduce prison and jail populations to protect the health of those incarcerated and others during the COVID-19 crisis, specifically:
- What processes are in place if a person who is incarcerated contracts, or is suspected to have contracted, COVID-19?
- What is your plan to maintain adequate staffing levels if a lot of your staff are out sick?
- What additional hygiene and sanitation procedures have you put in place in response to the pandemic?
- What steps are you taking to ensure that programming continues within the county jail or state prison?
- Has the department or the sheriff assessed the prison or jail population to determine who is at high risk for COVID-19, and what steps are being taken to ensure they’re protected?
- What steps have been taken to ensure that staff and people who are incarcerated have been educated about the virus and the best ways to mitigate its spread?